Quite some time ago, I started wondering about a nice way to do server side form validation. After pondering about what sort of features I wanted, I started to write them down on paper.
These were the features that I came up with:
- Visual clues that something is in error (background colour/border/..)
- Various data types for input boxes (int/float/string/alpha/..)
- Data type restrictions within a data type (min-value/max-value for an int for instance)
- To generate a list of validation errors and prompts after submitting
- Different submission requirements for different fields (mandatory/optional)
With that in mind, I started writing it in ASP Classic as a learning tool. I’ll post the Class as a file to download and some explanations of it shortly.